Friday, September 7, 2012

Be still...and all that jazz

I hate logging into blogger and seeing my poor little blog's stats flatlining.... I have really been meaning to get the final part of the Getting Ready For Baby series posted. It's all about packing your hospital bag. I wanted to have a video to accompany it, but that kept not happening....and then I thought "Well, maybe I'll just do pictures.." But that didn't happen either. I blame it on a few things: 1)Last minute preparation for the little one. 2)Being lazy/tired when the afore-mentioned preparation wasn't happening. 3)My mom flew into town and we have been running around getting stuff done and catching up and enjoying being in the same state again.

I have all kinds of posts in the works, but I've been a procrastinator. Oh!! Update on the body butter I made not too long ago. I made it again with sweet almond oil and a few different scents (I did it with my mom and friend, so there were three different batches.) Buuuut....I also used a different shea butter. I do NOT like the scent of the shea butter that I used this time. We had to use a lot of essential oil to even compete with the strong smell of the shea. Boooo. So next time, I'm sticking with sweet almond oil, but I won't be using the same shea--blech!!

Anyway, an update of recent goings-on. Here is a picture of the belly from two weeks ago (37 weeks)
I haven't taken any since then...and I'm certainly not taking one right now, so this will have to do. I haven't really gotten much bigger since this photo was taken, though. I find that a little odd. I was MUCH bigger around this point in my pregnancy with Gabriel than I am now. And little E is bigger than he was (more on that later). I am definitely carrying this little girl much differently than I did Gabe.

Speaking of Gabriel - he is so excited to be a big brother! Sometimes he claims he's about to be a "big robot" and not a big brother, but we'll let that slide and remind ourselves that he's not quite three years old yet. So "big robot" works I suppose.

A week or so ago we took Gabe to Build-A-Bear to make a present for his little sister (she's bringing a present for him too - don't tell, but she got him an Optimus Prime transformer toy. Does she know her brother or what??). He made her a bunny and named it Lil' Sis. Even gave the little squishy heart a kiss before shoving it into the stuffing to get all sewn up. We're a sentimental bunch.

So now here we are. 39 weeks 1 day. I was just SURE I was going to have a baby yesterday. I don't know why, but I had it in my head that September 6, 2012 was the day.

Because of the VBAC, my attending/supervising OB ordered an ultrasound to get an estimated fetal weight. That was yesterday. My mom came with me to the clinic and we went in for the ultrasound. After taking measurements and checking my fluid levels (which were great! whew!), the tech gave us an estimated fetal weight. Any guesses?

8lbs 5oz.

Did you get that?


That's 3.77 kilograms for any readers outside of the US.

Holy. Freaking. Crap. That's big. And she's not even due for another week. (Gabe was 8lbs 13oz, born two weeks overdue...) Babies supposedly gain about a pound a week (.45kg) the last few weeks. So it wouldn't be far fetched to think she'll be 9-9.5lbs by her estimated due date. *whimper*

The whole point of getting the EFW was to see if we maybe want to induce. If she was huge, they would kind of lean that way. And she is (kind of huge, that is). So I was all kinds of nervous and excited. I kept thinking "I might get to hold my daughter today!"

After the ultrasound, I went to "get checked" (not a pleasant visit...they check to see if and how far your cervix has dilated and effaced...and the cervix isn't exactly the most easily accessible body part to examine...) Before checking me the nurse-practitioner explained that, because the baby is so big, they may send me to the hospital to be induced IF favorable conditions exist (3-4cm dilated and some effacement). I explained that I did NOT want pitocin administered and I would prefer a membrane sweep. But again--favorable conditions.

Commence uncomfortable cervix check.

"You're 1 centimeter. Soft, but thick." (sorry if that's TMI for you...welcome to pregnancy)

I was crestfallen. This is exactly why I have avoided getting checked until now. I was hoping for high numbers, and I got a big thumbs down. I cried. Right there in the office. I haven't been that disappointed in a long time. I really thought I was going to have a baby yesterday. And I didn't. It's late afternoon/early evening THE DAY AFTER I was so sure I would give birth to my little girl, and still no signs of labor. They told me to give it another week and come back to get checked again and we'll go from there.

"If you don't go into labor on your own before then!!" She tried to cheer me up, but there was no cheering to be had. My day was ruined.

I finished out my afternoon and evening depressed and cranky. Today has been a pretty ho-hum day as well. I haven't been cranky (until about seven minutes ago when Gabriel started whining about wanting to watch a different cartoon for the millionth time in the last hour), but I'm still feeling pretty down. I shouldn't be. I know. I have a LOT to be grateful for. I just need to be patient. If there is one thing in the world that I am NOT GOOD AT, it's being patient.

"Be still, and know that I am God..."  - Psalms 46:10

1 comment:

  1. It's tough. ((Hugs))

    If it's any comfort, ultrasounds are notoriously inaccurate at estimating weight. (And the amount of fluid.) So, it's entirely possibly that she's only 7lb5oz. Try not to give it too much weight...pun thoroughly intended.

    You can do this.